Friday, August 26, 2016

Tourism and Tour Guides in Nigeria

Credit: http://www.123rf.com

Let me be plain honest with una. Ever since the 'Dollar Saga' hit us here for Naija, everyone has been looking for ways to cut cost...food (e.g. sweet potatoes has replaced yam in my kitchen...lol!), clothing ('Wedding color' outfit don over throw aso-ebi *giggles*), money saving and investing has become the order of the day and 'Entrepreneurship' is becoming a serious trend (Thank you, Forever *shines teeth*)

Another major tread caused by the 'Dollar saga' is traveling. I'm sure if I ask the aviation industry and travel agencies around the world about their 'turn-out' this year especially from the continent of Africa, I am very sure they would give a negative response. At the moment, the 'Dollar saga' isn't encouraging African Nigerians to travel to ogbodo oyibo (western world),o! This year alone, very few people I know were able to fly abroad (ogbodo oyibo) to spend their summer. Most spent it either here in Nigeria, or in some African country such as South Africa, Zanzibar or Seychelles.

What is my take on this 'Dollar saga'? I think it is a 'nice crisis' *shines teeth* Why? Because it is   making us to appreciate our own local content...our own local products...our own local space. I mean, Nigerians are now looking inwards. Domestic tourism is now becoming a fast trend, which is so beautiful! I am a tourist lover! Yes, you all know (especially my faithful readers) that I love to travel. Though I have not been able to do a lot of that at the moment (child rearing & wifey-duty calls...lol!). But it doesn't mean I no get plans for that anytime soon with my family of course *wink*

Tourism is one of the world's largest industry and generator of jobs. All the thirty-six (36) states in Nigeria are blessed with more than one tourist site. Just to mention one in each state: ABIA (National War Museum); ADAMAWA (Three Sister Rocks); AKWA-IBOM (Oron Regatta); ANAMBRA (Ogbunike Cave); BAUCHI (Yankari National Park); BENUE (Makurdi Zoo); BORNO (Lake Chad Sanctuary); CROSS RIVER (Obudu Cattle Ranch); DELTA (Escravos Sand Beaches); EDO (Ososo Tourist Center); ENUGU/EBONYI (Nkpologu Silicon Sands); GOMBE (Emir's Palace); IMO (Mbari Cultural Centre); JIGAWA (Baturiya Birds Sanctuary); KADUNA (Nok Museum); KANO (Falgore Game Reserves); KATSINA (Durbar Festival); KEBBI (Argungu Fishing Festival); KOGI (Relics of Colonial History); KWARA (Owu Falls); LAGOS (Whispering Palm, Badagry); NIGER (Lady Kwali Pottery); OGUN (Olumo Rock); ONDO/EKITI (Ikogosi Warm Spring); OSUN (Ooni of Ile-Ife's Palace); OYO (Okpara Game Reserve); PLATEAU/NASARAWA (Jos Wildlife Park); RIVERS/BAYELSA (Oloibiri Oil Museum); SOKOTO/ZAMFARA (Sokoto Museum); TARABA (Kpambo and Fikuyu Mysterious Rocks); YOBE (Hadejia-Nguru Bird Life Project) and The Federal Capital Territory, ABUJA (Zuma Rock).

So I have decided to interview a few Nigerian Tour Operators, who I have been following and plan to tour with someday soon. This is to encourage both Nigerians and foreigners to invest and encourage domestic and international tourism in Nigeria. Forget all that story that "Nigeria isn't safe" Abeg tell me where in the world is safe? *raises eyebrow* Just come and see what we have in stock in Nigeria. You will be amazed by how blessed and beautiful our tourism industry is. I am not saying we should not travel abroad...me self still get some places outside Naija and Africa where I wan visit. But I am saying we should help encourage the tourism industry in our dear nation. 

Watch out my blog for the interviews *smiles*


No comments:

Post a Comment