Celebrity Hairstylist Felicia Leatherwood in Lagos, Naija???? Now this was one kinky event I didn't want to miss!!! Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to go. But my twinny, QA 'represented' me and this was what she had to say about the event:
So last week I got an email from my twinny – it was a request to feature in her blog (how cool is that). She wanted me to attend a Natural Hair meet up – although reluctant at first I said yes. Up until the day of the event I really didn’t want to go – not like I had other event or activities lined up. I would have just preferred that we attended it together – but hey I left my house and got to “The Wheatbaker” early. I was so early I had to wait for an extra hour before the event kicked off. While seated in the lobby I meet owner of www.Naturaleverafter.com – Kathleen Ndongmo, lovely lady that is very passionate about hair.
Then it finally started with Nibi Lawson (the host) http://thekinkyapothecary.blogspot.com/p/kinky-hair-101.html welcoming us and apologizing for starting late – yeah they started at about 30 mins past 12. Felicia Leatherwood (a very beautiful woman I must say) started off by introducing herself and telling us how someone who knows so much about hair doesn’t have any –lol, her scalp is so clean. She has been organizing hair workshops for the past 5 years in different countries and this was her first time in Nigeria. Please check out this link for more on her http://www.lovingyourhairworkshop.com/ and this too for the You-Tube lovers http://www.youtube.com/user/Lovingyourhair?hl=en-GB&gl=NG. It was a really enlightening and educative session and I have below some key notes, tips and advices to share with us all. It may be long but believe me it’s worth the read.
….from the mouth of Felicia Leatherwood
She started with the 3 myths of Natural Hair
· It won’t grow – this will so grow because hair grows at least an inch every month but the for the little magic trick called shrinking, it would have been very obvious J
· It doesn’t retain moisture
· And you would just lose your edges if you go natural
We moved on to items we can find at home and how they help our hair
· Listerine – yes mouth wash is very good for hair odor
· Apple cider vinegar – cleanses the scalp
· Hot steaming is good twice a month
· Make the change all the way – eat right, drink lots of water (its helps to grow hair
· Shampoo every 5 to 7 days and condition immediately after- so like once a week
· Shedding during the transition, use the protein treatment (avocado, eggs and honey)
· Rinse hair with luke warm water always and end with cold water from the tap (not the freezer o).
· Stress can cause hair loss – so breathe to allow oxygen circulate
· A leave in conditioner is everything
· Castor oil is great for hair growth
· Use a product for at list half a year before you can truly determine if it works for you or not and stick to the regimen
· Braids – always deep condition in between braids; so u have braids for one month once you take it out deep condition before you do anything else.
· Tie the hair with satin and not cotton – or use a satin pillow case
· Use an old t shirt to dry your hair by patting it.
· No two hairs are the same
· Peppermint oil + olive oil is a good combination for dandruff. Tea tree oil is also very good for dandruff
· Know your hair texture to know what products would be best for you. Hair type 1 -2 straight to lose wave, 3-4 soft curl to kinky ABC are determined by the width and intensity.
· Creams are best for hair type 4C while wash and Gos and gels are ok for hair type 3B and C
· Use hair colours that are natural a few products are Henna and Naturtint
· Deep condition twice a month when you have colour
· Stages of hair color transition (from black => dark brown=> to red => to blonde)
· Shea butter isn’t a moisturizer but a sealant – so it locks moisture in the hair
For the baby girls….
· Avoid any products with “phylate”
· Wash hair every 3 – 5 days
Check out more photos of the event on Bella Naija
Pictures of the event from Queenie's collection *wink*
Natural Hair Workshop with The Kinky Apothecary
Q @ the event
Nibi Lawson, Founder of Kinky Apothecary
A Kinky Practitioner
Natural Hair Products
Q with Celebrity Hairstylist Felicia Leatherwood