Friday, June 22, 2012

Tribute to Ambasssdor Olusegun Olusola

There are some people who come into your life and make a positive impact. They may not have been there all the time but they have touched your life one way or the other. Ambassdor Olusegun Olusola is that kind of person.

I remember the first day I met him, my dad, who was working in his NGO then, Africa Refugees Foundation (ARF), took my brother and I for one of their Art & Culture Exhibitions. He reminded me of a grand father; very warm, welcoming, humble and fun loving. What caught my attention was the way he gave each person at that event attention as if they were the only ones there.

I remember when my dad died, he came for his wake keeping and said so many nice words to my family. He and some of my dad's co-workers helped with some of the burial event.

The first time my family really got to know Ambassdor Olusola was when my brother won an award for an art exhibition organzied by Gessomate Proffesional Art Society in 2003. That was their madien edition, and Ambasssdor Olusola was their special guest. He kind of took a liking for my brother from that day. In 2008, an art group called Mien Arts in my university, which my brother and I were members, had an art exhibition. My brother invited Ambasssdor Olusola and he came! It was wonderful.

Ambassador Olusegun Olusola was many things. A television playwright (Creator and director of one of most popular Nigerian television sitcoms in the 70s and early 80s, "Village Headmaster"), seasoned broadcaster (Worked in Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation, Western Nigerian Television (WNTV) and Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) as a broadcaster and presenter), diplomat ( Former Nigerian Ambassador to Ethiopia), defender of African refugees ( He handled several important refugee assignments in Africa, like in Somalia, South Africa, Uganda, etc) and a lecturer (Taught in the Institute of Journalism, 1973 – 1974). He was also Chairman, National Festival Committee and the Nigerian Arts Council in 1970; Director, Second All-Nigeria Festival of Arts and Culture in 1971 and was appointed Vice-Chairman, Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria Planning Committee for the All African Games in 1973. He was founder of both Ajibulu Moniya Art Gallery and AREF (African Refugees Foundation).

But to those who knew or encountered him closely knew him as a father, grand father, friend, peacemaker, an art lover and most especially a humble man.

A memorable message to humanity from the Ambassador Olusegun Olusola :
“Wherever you are and whenever you can, lift a voice, a finger to assist anyone. Try when you can. Don't postpone it. Even if it is a wish you can communicate, try and do it because it may well be your very last encounter. And it may go a long way to save a soul.”

Memories...


Ambassdor Olusegun Olusola, my parents and my brother recieving a Certificate Award during the First (1st) Art Exhibition organised by Gessomate Proffessional Art Society in 2003.


Ambassdor Olusegun Olusola, my parents and my brother at the First (1st) Art Exhibition by Gessomate Proffessional Art Society in 2003.

Ambassdor Olusegun Olusola analysing an Art work with a Rainbow College student during Gessomate Proffesional Art Society 10th Year Celebrations in 2012.


Miss Onarietta Remet, Guinness Book of Record World's Youngest Artist conversing with Ambassdor Olusegun Olusola during Mien Arts' Madien Gifted Hands program in Covenant University, Ogun State, Nigeria in 2008.

1 comment:

  1. still surprised dat he evn sent sumone to represent him at dad's funeral in ihiala...a father figure with a cheerful demeanor that would forever be missd...

    ReplyDelete