Tuesday, October 11, 2011

World Post Day!

Here I was going through the newspapers and I came across this subject in The Guardian newspaper: "Nigeria Marks World Post Day". Honestly, I didn't know such a day exisited....and I LOVE handwritten letters, sending postcards and collecting stamps!!

I remember when my dad would come back from any of his overseas trips, I would ask him for stamps and coins of those countries he visited. You see, my dad was a stamp and coin collector...I inherited that passion from him *grinning*. I find it facinating how different countries' display their culture in their stamp designs.

I also love handwritten letters and postcards!!! I have a collection of postcards my dad sent from his oversea trips. There is this friend of mine, anytime we both travel, we usually send postcards to each other. Fadhillah Norzahari, thanks for being my "Postcard PenPal"...lol! Shukra katir,habibi!*hugs* I always look forward to her postcards....am expecting like two from her at the moment (grinning at Fad....yaaay to snail mails!! *wink*)

World Post day happens each year on October 9, remembering this date for the establishment of Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 in Bern, Switzerland. The UPU was the start of global communications revolution, people could write to others all over the world. In this age of the Internet, postal services worldwide continue to facilitate personal communication and commercial exchanges. Am so glad that postal services still exist....there is nothing as lovely as handwritten letters....I mean...a letter written by hand is hard work! In this web age, people hardly do handwritten letters anymore....sad.

I LOVE the World Post Day 2010-2012 poster!!! Using a selection of stamps from around the world, the 2010–2012 poster shows individuals, independent of their place of residence or culture, using the Post to communicate with others, within and across borders. Totally cool!

So, who are you going to send a handwritten letter to this year? *raising my eyebrow*

If you really want to touch someone, send them a letter *smiling*


Tasamanian Postcard from Fad


Ghana Postcard from me to Fad

3 comments:

  1. Have really not thought about it but now that you wrote it, i will think about it...chizys-spyware.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im seriously trying to keep up with bb n facebook,I don't know if I can squeeze in a letter.

    ReplyDelete