Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Space Craze!

Google did it again!!!! lol! Yesterday I opened google and guess what I saw? A space/astronaut design. At first I just assumed it was one of their designs for the day. I loved it! Later that day at work, I was passing a colleague's office when I heard on the radio that Russia was celebrating the 50th Anniversary of space exploration. Then it hit me that google was actually celebrating space day that day. So I quickly ran to my system and clicked on the google space design. That's how I got today's story...!

Here I go again...but I have to tell you this so you would not be wondering....lol! I recall telling you guys of a book my dad bought for my sister and I on "Arts, tourism & culture". Well, for my brothers' he bought them a book on "Space & astronauts". That's where my love for space and astronaut came alive! Also thanks to movies like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" and cartoons like "Thunder Bird".*wink*

Yuri's Night is an international celebration held on April 12 every year to commemorate space exploration milestones. The event is named to celebrate the "First Man In Space", Yuri Gagarin, who flew the Vostok 1 spaceship on April 12, 1961. Yuri's Night is celebrated all over the world in places like Los Angeles, Stockholm, Antarctica, the San Francisco Bay Area, Tel Aviv, Tokyo and the International Space Station. April 2011 marked the 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's historic first flight.

Yuri's Night is a Space Generation Advisory Council event. The aim of Yuri's Night is to increase public interest and awareness in space exploration and to inspire a new generation of explorers. As a driven passion by space-inspired artistic expression and a worldwide network of annual celebrations and educational events, Yuri's Night creates a global community of young people committed to shaping the future of space exploration while developing responsible leaders and innovators with a global perspective. These global events are a showcase for elements of culture that embrace space including music, dance, fashion, and art.

I recall my brother asking me one day if I knew who the "First Man On the Moon" was. And I could not answer. That was where I learnt about Neil Armstrong. I marvel at his story every time. Some of my friends and people think am nuts when I say, I'm going to visit the moon one day. Well, Neil Armstrong has shown me that it is possible! Yea...am not an astronaut. But there is something called "Space Tourism" ....he!he! I know...it's expensive...but you never know!!!! *wink*

Expedition 27 crew aboard the International Space Station sent a special video message to the world to wish them a Happy Yuri's Night on the occasion of the 50th anniversary. Watch and enjoy!


"Circling the Earth in my orbital spaceship I marveled at the beauty of our planet. People of the world, let us safeguard and enhance this beauty — not destroy it!"
Yuri Gagarin,

2 comments:

  1. uh oh...here she goes agen...sha bring bk a piece of pluto on yr way bk 2 earth sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need to see the documentary..The race for rockets....awesome!!!...good post

    ReplyDelete