After my Dubai trip, I came back home to Nigeria for another trip to Egypt. But this time, Egypt came to Nigeria and not me going to Egypt. You are not getting me, are you? I guess not!
My church did a Vacation Bible School program for children. The program was about EGYPT – Joseph’s journey from the prison to the palace. It held for five (5) days and it was an experience. I was the Celebration Leader. My role was to lead the children and the adults that volunteered into God’s presence through singing and dancing during the opening and closing time. It was a fulfilling role. There were times when everyone was tired but we all still had fun praising and dancing to the Lord. It always made me smile anytime I saw the smiles and excitement on everyone’s face when it was celebration time. And guess what my name was during the program? “Aunty Nene-patra”, coined from Cleopatra. Lol!
We had seven (7) families, where about ten (10) children were placed in each. Each family had a Family leader and a Family Assistant who led the children to bible study on Joseph’s journey in Egypt. Everyone was dressed in Egyptian attires, which was so much fun! Each family had an Egyptian name and color allocated to them.
Each day had a topic and bible verses that explored Joseph’s journey in Egypt.
• Day 1- God gives us HOPE. The memory verse was Jeremiah 29:11 which says “For I know the plans I have for you, the plans to give you a future and a hope.”
• Day 2 - God gives us SPECIAL ABILITIES. The memory verse was Romans 12:6 which says “In His grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well.”
• Day 3 - God gives us WISDOM. The memory verse was James 1:5 which says “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God and He will give to you.”
• Day 4 - God gives us FORGIVNESS. The memory verse was Nehemiah 9:17 which says “But you are the God of forgiveness, gracious and merciful, slow to become angry, and rich in unfailing love.”
• Day 5 - God gives us a FAMILY. The memory verse was Galatians 3:26 which says “For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus.”
After family time each day, the children explored Egypt by going to the market place shops where they could learn how to make Egyptian jewellery, have an Egyptian make over, buy Egyptian toys at the toy shop and Egyptian food at the food shop and also learn how to write their names in hieroglyphs and do brick making. The children also paid a visit to Joseph while he was in prison and also when he was later transferred to the palace. After all the visits, the children were taken to the Pyramid playground where they played loads of Egyptian games like mummy wrapping and wheel cart rides. It was a time filled with fun for both the children and adults. It was fun watching adults play their roles well.
At the end of the program, we had a concert where parents were invited. We sang and danced to all the songs we learnt during our Egypt journey. Categories of awards were given to some people. And at the end of the day, every child that participated received a certificate.
Next year, we are taking a journey to Nazareth, Where the kid Jesus was born. Looking forward to that journey!!!!!
Find below some photos of the program and a video shoot during Celebration time. Also check out the Egypt- Joseph's Journey from Prison to Palace website. Enjoy!!!!
Joseph and the kids
Celebration Time Video