Monday, June 21, 2010

The World Wonders

I have a dream that I must accomplish before I die (thats apart from my divine mission on earth). That dream is to travel the whole world!!!!! I MUST step foot on every continent...including Antartica and outer space, o!!!! Am serious!

When I was about 10 years old or so, my siblings and I went to a school bazzaar with our dad. My dad bought each of us a kind of play book - my brothers' books were about "Outer Space and Astronauts" while my sister's and mine were about "Countries and their culture". Those books inspired my travel dream!!!!

In primary school, I learnt about the then Seven (7) World Wonders (though there are more than that now)namely: The Big Ben (London), The Great Wall of China (China), Statue of Liberty (USA), Effiel Tower (Paris, France), The Great Pyramids of Giza (Egypt),Taj Mahal (India) and Colosseum (Italy).

My dream is to surely visit all these places....Yeah....some of you may have been to some or all of them and think it's no big deal. But to me, it is!!! I mean, God didn't bring me to this world to only explore just one place and not explore the other places, when He has created diverse beauties...NO WAY!!!

So let me tell you abit about these 7 World Wonders that I intend to visit....soon (*wink*).


THE BIG BEN (London, UK)- This is the nickname for the great bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London. Big Ben is the largest four-faced chiming clock and the third-tallest free-standing clock tower in the world. It celebrated its 150th anniversary in May 2009 (the clock itself first ticking on 31 May 1859). Now, to alot of people, this monument is old fashioned. But to me, while growing up, it has been a must see for me.


THE GREAT WALL (China)- It was built originally to protect the northern borders of the Chinese Empire against intruders and was rebuilt and maintained between the 5th century BC and the 16th century. If there is any Asian country I must land and see it's great monument, it would be China! It's a great mystery if you look at how long the wall is. I mean, it's quite visible from the moon!!!!(So I read...lol!)


THE STATUE OF LIBERTY (USA) - Officially titled Liberty Enlightening the World, it was dedicated on October 28, 1886, as a monument commemorating the centennial of the signing of the United States Declaration of Independence, given to the United States by the people of France to represent the friendship between the two countries established during the American Revolution. It is one of the most recognizable symbols in the world. For many years it was one of the first glimpses of the United States for millions of immigrants and visitors after ocean voyages from around the world. Atleast, if I land the USA, I have to see this....it's a legend monument.


EFFIEL TOWER (Paris, France) - This is an 1889 iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris that has become both a global icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. The Eiffel Tower, which is the tallest building in Paris,is the single most visited paid monument in the world. Named after its designer, engineer Gustave Eiffel, the tower was built as the entrance arch for the 1889 World's Fair. Paris is one of my honeymoon destinations (*wink*). I hear it's got loads of romance in the air. How beautiful it would be when I reach the top of the Effiel tower shouting "BONJOUR, Paris!!!"


THE GREAT PYRAMIDS OF GIZA (Egypt) - This is the oldest and largest of the three pyramids in the Giza Necropolis bordering what is now El Giza, Egypt. It is the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and the only one to remain largely intact. It is believed the pyramid was built as a tomb for fourth dynasty Egyptian Pharaoh Khufu (Cheops in Greek) and constructed over a 20-year period concluding around 2560 BC. The Great Pyramid was the tallest man-made structure in the world for over 3,800 years. Now, as an African, why shouldn't I visit this place??? I'll also include the Great Sphnix to my Egypt tour list.


TAJ MAHAL (India)- This is a mausoleum (is an external free-standing building constructed as a monument enclosing the interment space or burial chamber of a deceased person or persons) located in Agra, India, built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. If you read the history of this monument, you would probably to cry. Quite romantic. Am so going to visit this place where the tomb is described as "one tear-drop...upon the cheek of time". Pure romance....


COLOSSEUM (Italy)- This is an elliptical amphitheatre (an open-air venue for spectator sports, concerts, rallies, or theatrical performances) in the center of the city of Rome, Italy, the largest ever built in the Roman Empire. It was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. I can imagine myself in the Colosseums and going back in time when the Gladiators used to fight there....scary!


There are more World Wonders which I would share with y'all soon. Meanwhile, start writing down the World Wonders you would love most to visit. Cheers!!!

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

3 comments:

  1. This may come as a shock but I don't have a dream destination, my brother was actually surprised the first time i said that.

    But I think it would be fun to visit some of these places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jst dnt 4get 2 tk ur onli sis wif u..*wink*

    ReplyDelete