Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Nene & the Chocolate Factory

I have one weakness.....CHOCOLATES!!!!! I mean you can buy me with chocolate.....ok...not true!!!LOL! But honestly I can eat chocolate as breakfast, as lunch, as dinner and of course, as a snack....he!he! my bad! just can't help it.

Recently I found some interesting information about our dear "Chocolate".

Chocolate has been a luxurious treat for thousands and thousands of years. Good news for Chocolate lovers: A recent study has proven that DARK chocolate is good for you and me!!!! (Notice that I highlighted on dark!lol!).

Dark chocolate is not only a rich source of flavonoids (Common plant pigment compounds that act as antioxidants. They enhance the effects of Vitamin C and strengthen connective tissues around the capilliaries) and antioxidants (A chemical substance, such as vitamin E, vitamin C, or beta carotene, thought to protect body cells from the damaging effects of oxidation). Both can help reduce high blood pressure and diabetes. However, its main ingredient, Cocoa, is a good source of magnesium and iron. Cocoa even contains properties that help keep the good cholesterol (HDL), which can then keep the bad cholesterol (LDL) out of sight.
Joyfully (*wink*), chocolate is also linked to the release of serotonin (A molecule that controls your sleep, depression, memory, aggression, regulates eating and other neurological processes), which is a natural anti-depressant.

Though eating chocolates has its health benefits, it is still rich in calories and high in fat. If you enjoy a small square or two, you won't need to worry about the caloric content. It's the ingredients that matter. Make sure they are all natural.

Below are some of my favourite organic/healthy Chocolates -

THEO CHOCOLATE - Theo is organic and certified as fairly traded. The reason I like this chocolate is because they use loads of organic stuff to spice up their choco bars.

http://www.theochocolate.com/


VOSGES HAUT-CHOCOLATE -Exotic truffles infused with rare spices and flowers. This 'haute chocolate' boutique offers beautifully wrapped packages and gifts for any chocolate lover who is looking for a little zest. I love the way they use ingredients like becon and wine to spice up their chocolate collections....hmmmm...yummy!!!

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/


RECCHIUTI CONFECTIONS - What I love most about this chocolate is the fact that they can customize the chocolate to your style. Thinking of recommending them to do chocolate gift packs for my wedding...what do think? (Hey...that reminds me, we have a chocolatier in Nigeria! Saw her interview on one of our popular Nigerian Magazines but can't remember which....anyone have an idea of the person?)

http://www.recchiuti.com/index.html

Though I would advise that you ban milk chocolate and white chocolate because the additional milk or chocolate liquor (all found in milk and white chocolate) actually nullifies the beneficial properties of the cocoa, I still can't help but love chocolates such as Snickers, Maltesers, Mars.....oya...continue naming them.lol! But honestly, its advised that we stick with dark chocolate. It's much healthier. Choose a bar that is made with at least 60% cocoa. The higher the cocoa percentage, the better the antioxidant properties, and the less room for fillers and preservatives.

Okay...enough about chocolates....am out of here to eat my Maryland Choc Cip & Hazelnut cookies...yummmmy!!!!

3 comments:

  1. hmmm..im so in d mood 4 1 ryt nw!! cnt wait 4 my bday cake!!!!! yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why don't they give smiley on blogspot, I would have given you a sad face.
    Anything sweet, organic or non-organic, as long as delicious and is called chocolate, I will eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kiki- Till then...chill!
    @Bom-Bom- Nautty girl! I have warned u sha
    If u want to do that ur "detox saga" again, kindly go for DARK chocolates.....u'd neva regret it...(I really wish there were smileys.Wud have given u a *wink*)

    ReplyDelete